Monday, January 26, 2009

Phew

I'm finally feeling relaxed after several weeks of insanity.  The cabin was a wonderful getaway, but for my serenity, I need my place to be clean, and full of food, and nothing large on my to do list. 

This past week and a half, I've been helping Carrie paint the set she designed for McCarter's In Festival.  The show is Eclipsed, and is set in war-torn Liberia. 

The floor is a draped, torn Liberian flag. This is it when we first laid out the stripes. There are two platforms on the deck, so don't get confused. 



Here is the deck after it's been distressed and dirtied. It feels like the old Civil War flags that made it through battles.




Sitting on top of the parallelogram platform is a structure that represents a room with all of the walls blown out. We spent several days carving the concrete - and I was the carving queen! This is me in my Tyvek suit at the end of carving. 



Here is the structure and a detail of the concrete. Carrie is the one standing and looking up. Kate is the one bending over. 





One more peak into the work that I do. Do you wish you were me or are you glad you are not?
I love what I do, but it can be so physically intense. My back ached for days from all the carving, but I get a pretty picture at the end!





1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm sorta jealous. You have very unique work, I mean who else gets to make functional art that a lot of people see without being famous! (and finding galleries that will show your work, and self promoting) yay for you. but I do know I could never do it.