Sunday, March 22, 2009

another way to go green


Since my success with my windowsill Basil, grown completely wrong, from August to March, I've decided to try my hand at balcony gardening.

Since we all know that Sue completely lacks in attention span, I will continue with my ventures into self-watering. I will be growing mostly herbs in my garden, but I'll have some flowers. Tomatoes and berries might come into the picture, but I think I'll by a starter plant for those. I'm definitely going to try hanging the tomato plant though - exciting.

First, I need to start out my little baby seedlings. If I had thought about it, I would have been keeping my egg cartons all winter, but Grant and I do not eat many eggs, so I would not have nearly enough to start my little seeds. 

Friday night, Grant and I went to Lowe's to peruse, and we found a self-watering seedling greenhouse! Perfect! There are little pellets inside, that expand when they are saturated.















You  plant a few seeds in each, put the lid on, and watch them grow.

Here is my tray all seeded up:





A close-up (without the aid of a macro lense, sadly)



And not to worry - I have a labeling system.


My seeds are planted left to right in order of how quickly they should grow, with the exception of the poppies, which I planted more of, cuz they're pretty.

So with hope and within a month, I should have (more) basil, chives, dill, sage, oregano, rosemary, mint, cilantro, parsley and poppies!

Here's hoping!

1 comment:

strud said...

Awesome! Next you should learn to grow from snips of plant so that I too can have Basil, chives, dill, sage, oregano, rosemary, mint, cilantro, parsley and poppies! It will Be scenes from Both 7 Brides and Sarah Plain & Tall and we will Be so green that Kermit will Be asking us for dates.