Thursday, October 30, 2008

it grew 'til it touched the sky

My Basil Plant 














It was seeds in August, it grew and I haven't killed it yet! 

I am not the best with plants. I've killed cacti. It takes a high level of disregard to accomplish that! Unlike puppies or kitties, plants to not cry when they are thirsty. so it becomes difficult to remember when they don't grab you attention.

For years, I have wanted to grow my own herbs. I realized that my track record was atrocious, and decided to work out a system. A self watering system, that is. I used the design from this Instructable (with a prettier V8 Fusion bottle), some basil seeds and viola! About once a week I refill the water in the bottom of the bottle. It's been growing really well. I decided it was old enough to start using the leaves. 

Since my initial experiment has worked out so well, I bout a few flowers at Produce Junction, and am attempting to do the same. The reservoirs are smaller, so I might have to refill them more often. That is where HassleMe comes into play.  It is a website that emails you to hassle you to do things. You tell it to hassle you approximately every (blank) days, and it will! I set mine for approximately 3 days. 

It's not so hard to remember, now that they live inside. But it will probably be harder in the summer. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hassleme sure has a lot of staff for what is almost definitely a simple scripted process...