Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Spray Roses and Snowy Days


This is a very pretty vase that Grant's mom gave to me for Christmas. She has one just like it that I have admired on numerous occasions. I bought some spray roses at Produce Junction today, and a few of the smaller buds broke off - perfect size for them!

Today was a stolen Tuesday. Grant was home, because he works a show this evening, and I actually spent most of the day in the kitchen, catching up on stocking up. I made biscotti, scone dough, lemon dill butter (that turned an odd color, because the dill had been frozen - but it still tastes right), garlic & chive cream cheese, and the dough for bagels is rising as I write. And I might make some chili before the night is over!

Apparently, cooking/baking is my new hobby. I think I instinctively feel like it is something I must conquer. Plus, everything has gotten so bogged down with so many preservatives. I've taken to not purchasing food products if a) I don't recognize items in the ingredient list, b) there are more than 10 ingredients listed (not including spices), or c) if there is HFCS or hydrogenated oils listed (an exception is ketchup - it must be Heinz!). 

Things take a bit longer to cook on my own, but there is a greater sense of accomplishment, and Grant and I have both been feeling much better in the energy department since the change. 

I'm becoming more confident with yeast and baking, and am starting to experiment with challenging recipes I get mostly from the website the kitchn. I've recently discovered the recipe for kale chips, which went over very well with Doug and Deb, though Grant passed on them. They are surprisingly addictive, despite being healthy. I found the recipe, because I had gotten an exorbitant amount of kale from Produce Junction and wanted to use it up. 

Next project: Pita bread. I have some hummus, which is always good with pita. I have the recipe, all I need is the time. Maybe tomorrow?



No comments: