Thursday, October 15, 2009

Guest Post

Since I know you all want to know about Elyse's first month of college, here's a guest post from her - complete with photos of her class work. (I actually asked her to give me a run-down of the projects so I got it right, but she wrote it out so nice, that I just decided to post the email!)


ok, so here's a rundown of the projects


the three skulls: we were to do a planar analysis with three different views on a skull. So all straight lines and using shapes to create depth, along with varying thickness of lines. Not substantial shading. He repeatedly told me he wanted to "kiss the upper jaw" of the middle skull. He really liked the cheek bone on one of the other two. i got a 92.



The crazy squares with the wave thing: she wanted us to use certain elements of design (line, shape and value) to create principles of design (unity, variety, balance, repetition, rhythm, movement and emphasis) We were to use geometric and organic shapes to do so. No solid blacks, so even my darkest of darks aren't solid. I got a 92 because i mounted it at the last second and it was too small, i knew this but did not have time to spare. She lets us resubmit after critique, so i remounted it and turned it in again and got a 95.




the gelato: we were supposed to use the Gestalt theory to create a picture out os several small designs. the theory is that our eyes will complete the picture even if when viewed from close we can see that its not as it appears. We gridded off an original photograph, either our own or someone else's (I used my own) into half inch squares. We then created a grid of equal size on bristol board. each cube had to have a different design, no repeats. We were supposed to use varying sizes of designs and values to make it correspond with the square on the picture. I used a lot of different characters from different alphabets as well as mathematical symbols and some whole words to create my designs. towards the end, a lot of them turned into random squiggles. Haven't gotten a grade back yet, but she seemed very please with it during critique. There are a few spots i would change, such as the contrast of top left and bottom right corners in relation to the rest of the picture, but overall i'm happy. there were 300 squares total.




the skeletons: We were to do a contour and cross contour line drawing of two skeletons posed in class. We needed to include at least skulls, rib cages, and pelvises (?). The final is to be done in ink, but i as well as my professor loved mine in pencil so much that he suggested I transfer the basic lines to another pieces of paper so i would not lose the original pencil drawing. I think its freaking sexy. There were stupid robes holding the skeletons together and he kept trying to get me to draw them to help with angles and proportions, but i told him they were ugly. he laughed, i think he likes me. SO i'm working on the ink part now, its due tonight at the end of class.

in 2D design we're strating to make these crazy box things with patterns. I'll keep you updated on that.

SCAD hosted an Andy Warhol exhibit last night with some of his works from the myths collection. There is some lecture tonight and workshop tomorrow with a guy named patrick connors... Looked at his website, not inpressed at all with the layout and design of the webpage, but his stuff looks good.

I heard its snowing in part of PA today, its a sunny warm fall day here. Robert Redford is in town filming a movie and some of my friends saw Justin Long yesterday. I think thats about it.


What a rockstar!



No comments: