Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I think lots of people have trouble eating "healthier" because they feel they are being forced to eat or drink something that is an inferior substitution.

But I decided quite a while ago to stop substituting, and start enjoying new things. Does whole wheat pasta taste like regular pasta? No - so why should it be considered a substitute? Whole wheat pasta has a flavor of its own. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't expect it to be regular pasta.

What brings this to mind is milk. Grant and I are both lactose sensitive, so we rarely have milk in the house. A little carton of half & half is usually all that makes it. But that's a really big bummer if you want some nummy cereal. So I decided to check out this whole soymilk thing.

So I went to my local Trader Joe's, and I grabbed vanilla, because I figured it would be more versatile than chocolate. Plus, I like vanilla. First day in my cereal was kinda weird. I was just ehh about it. Then I remembered - "Sue. Soymilk isn't cow's milk, so it shouldn't taste like it! Maybe you should think of it like a nut milk, cuz that's what it is."

So I poured myself a glass, and it was supertasty, just because it was being itself, and I recognized it for what it is.

So you should do it, too - it works.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only drink soymilk and I love it. Silk vanilla is the best. Cow milk test sour and gross to me now.